Hotel Slon lobby renovation
In 1552, the Austrian duke Maximillian II. stopped in Ljubljana on his way from Spain. Among his entourage was an elephant, a big attraction for the townspeople and the inn where the party slept was named after the animal (slon is Slovenian for elephant). The first hotel was built on the site between 1856 and 1858, and it offered public baths to wealthy citizens. Today’s building was built by architect Stanko Rohrmann in 1937.
The latest renovation dates from 2017, when the ground floor was refurbished, and some space was gained under the former arcade along Slovenska Street. The new image of the main entrance, the lobby, the coffee shop and the restaurant sets new standards for the hotel by bringing together the original characteristics, contemporary needs and refined design. The glazed arcades, the entrance hall and the reception were designed by architect Jadranka Grmek, while the Belgrade architect Ksenija Djordjević is the author of the decorative lighting, furniture and the restaurant Slon 1552. The sculptures were designed by Ana Djordjević.