Slovene architecture

Javorca, Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit

Remigius Geyling / 1916

On the stone edge overlooking the Tolminka valley and the Polog mountain pasture stands this memorial church. Javorca is the only memorial church of the Austro-Hungarian army in the area of the Isonzo front preserved until today. It was built in eight months above a solemn access staircase. The wooden walls are covered by a shallow saddle roof, which is decorated with a small tower above the entrance. The side facades are decorated with the coats-of-arms of Austrian provinces. A small bell hangs in front of the entrance, where there is a simple viewing terrace. The interior is a unified area, divided into three apparent naves with several decoratively painted column-bearing beams.

 

Object information

Construction year
1916

Technical team

Manufacturers and Suppliers